Xbox LIVE - Disconnection Issues

Hey,

I came here in some guidance of people helping me find out a possible solution to my problem. Hopefully someone with past experience of this problem could throw me some advice.

Approximately every 10-15 minutes, Xbox LIVE disconnects from the internet, making me lag out of the current match I am in, and eventually freeze. Sometimes, I can get right back into a match and at other times I have to go back to the dashboard and do the Test Xbox LIVE Connection test again (which never comes up with errors). When it disconnects, it'll either auto-reconnect or I have to re-test the connection, like stated above. Whenever I try and click "Connect to Xbox LIVE" from the start button, it just returns a connection error (which doesn't show up, once again, in Test Xbox LIVE connection), and once tested, I can jump right back in.

I've been all over the Internet, for about 10 days now, with no avail. I've tried the official website of Xbox LIVE and troubleshooting with no help. I found out my router wasn't on the support list, so I called Microsoft to ask them regarding it (as very similar models are compatible). They simply said that it would be, they just haven't updated the list recently, so it's not on there. In case you're wondering, it's not my Internet that disconnects. Only when I have Xbox LIVE running, does it disconnect. I can stream videos, music, etc without any problems when my Xbox is not plugged in.

So, the set-up:
- Wall > Router > Wireless Laptop > Ethernet to Xbox (Over a bridged connection from router and Ethernet chord)

No, that is a perfectly fine way to set-up the network without having to pay $60 for the wireless adapter. I got this idea from my friend, who uses it all the time perfectly. I even tried plugging the Xbox directly into the modem and router once just to double check, and the same problem.

What I've tried so far:
  • Enabling DHCP
  • Enabling UPnP
  • Using a static IP address for the Xbox
  • Allowing the Xbox through DMZ
  • Portforwarding 88 (UDP), 3074 (UDP/TCP), 53 (TCP), 80 (TCP)
  • Complete reset (computer > modem > router)
  • Restoring factory defaults for router and Xbox network settings
  • Every other suggestion on the Xbox LIVE support page
  • Every other suggestion I've found on the web regarding this problem
I'm honestly extremely tired of this and just want to get some good gaming in. I was planning on upgrading to the new Xbox system soon, but considering I can't even stay in a game for more than a few minutes, it won't be worth it. Maybe it's time to move to the PS3, but that's my last resort (seeing all my games are Xbox). If you have any suggestions, at all, please let me know. I will be very grateful.

In case it matters, my router is a Belkin Wireless G+ (PLUS) MIMO (F5D9230-4)

Thanks!

Your problem is most likely going to be caused by bridging your connection through the latop. Try connecting the xbox directly to your router to see if that's the problem.

I have:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakr
I even tried plugging the Xbox directly into the modem and router once just to double check, and the same problem.

How long have you had the XBox? Have you left it on during a lightning storm before? If so, your XBox' network card might be shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Staff
Посмотреть сообщение
How long have you had the XBox? Have you left it on during a lightning storm before? If so, your XBox' network card might be shot.
About a year, but this, within the past couple weeks, have been my first online interactions. Also, no, but it was still plugged into the wall. However, it is on a surge protector, so doubt that would be the problem.

I'm not sure about the network card, as it connects perfectly and everything else it's supposed to; but possibly. Would it be likely for hundreds of other of people to have the same problem as me (as I've seen multiple posts, of people who have solved it, but haven't posted how...).

Since you've claimed that you have plugged it directly into the modem and the problem persists, it has to be either an XBox problem (of which you said shouldn't be an issue) or an ISP problem. Your internet provider could be throttling your streaming internet connections. If so you might give them a call, or just deal with it.

You might note that some ISPs will branch an entire neighborhood's internet connection to a single hub, which then communicates to the central hub. This means that multiple people may be slowing down your bandwidth during the day, so you might have less traffic during the early morning or late night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Staff
Посмотреть сообщение
Since you've claimed that you have plugged it directly into the modem and the problem persists, it has to be either an XBox problem (of which you said shouldn't be an issue) or an ISP problem. Your internet provider could be throttling your streaming internet connections. If so you might give them a call, or just deal with it.

You might note that some ISPs will branch an entire neighborhood's internet connection to a single hub, which then communicates to the central hub. This means that multiple people may be slowing down your bandwidth during the day, so you might have less traffic during the early morning or late night.
Thanks for the reply. I've contacted my ISP earlier today where they said they see no problems with the connection until certain times, which happen to be when I plug the Xbox in. The same goes for the security log of the router ("The WAN Connection has been disconnected", 5 seconds later, "Retrieving IP address of X.X.X.X via DCHP"). It seems once I plug in the Xbox, the networking problems begin to occur, which I haven't been able to troubleshoot further. No other information on the web, at least that I have personally found.

As far as branching the connection, I don't think it is set up like so. I've never noticed any performance issues with my Internet (nor a decrease). There is usually two laptops connected playing online games, streaming music/videos, using IRC or messenger, and basic web browsing. On top of that, another desktop computer connected to the modem doing your basic Internet tasks. I'm very happy with my ISP, and don't plan to change it (especially considering it's supported with Xbox LIVE).

Back with a slight update. As Joe Staff originally suspected, the WAN disconnecting is caused by the bridge. I've done some extra intensive testing to prove so. It disconnects whenever the connection is bridged, not necessarily just when bridged to the Xbox (or even if the bridged connection is being used). Maybe someone would be able to figure this out for me (why the bridged connection is causing WAN ti disconnect (I haven't been able to check the computer's connection directly to the router))?

I've looked online regarding bridged connections causing disconnection. It seems to be popular with Belkin Wireless routers, which is the type I happen to have. There have been people who have resolved the problem, but as usually, they didn't disclose how.

I'm planning on spoiling myself this Christmas by getting a new Xbox console and some games, as well as purchasing new LIVE subscriptions. I'm just weary of whether or not it will be worth it, considering the connection issues, or if I should move on to the Player Station 3. If anyone has any help, please do say so.