What specs in a VPS would you need to run a server?

Well I'm looking into getting a VPS to run a SAMP server so I can manage it fully instead of buying through a reseller company, so what specs would I need to run it without it crashing constantly?

I ran a Server on a home host using just 2gb of ram with intel pentium 4 processor dual core... It ran relatively smooth with pings to america to uk at around 280... but im now with a Host with 14gb RAM and quad core... so i dont honestly know.

You will find SAMP can run on about 512mbs of RAM on a VPS.

You can host about 300-400 slots.

You might find it better to go with a host as they give you support for your game.

We host VPS server and we would not (as of every other host) give you support with the game.

So you have to think of that when you get a VPS server for games.

300 to 400 slots on a busy server is asking for trouble
/offtopic

WarServers
Big Clucker

FREE SAMP SERVERS! PM ME! You need 150 posts on this forum before you get one.

Hehe you cant get one

I can now :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firzendxiw
View Post
300 to 400 slots on a busy server is asking for trouble
Even 50 slots on a VPS is asking for trouble. Disk I/O bottlenecks and limited CPU will kill your player-base.

So there isn't a recommended Host which provides SAMP capable VPS servers?

Any VPS would work we know a few users use our VPS servers for SAMP.

But It might just be best to get SAMP hosting unless if you want to host web sites as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarServers
View Post
Any VPS would work we know a few users use our VPS servers for SAMP.

But It might just be best to get SAMP hosting unless if you want to host web sites as well.
Hmm alright.

Well im (like Jack_Leslie) also searching for a new Host/VPS.
Since our old one VPS is crashing all the time.
(No Clue why, our server takes about 28k Mb memory while we have 1 Gb memory..And it just freezes RDP, VNC everything just crashes out.)

It's a damn long story to explain that here tho :P

EDIT: This old one probably isnt capable thats why I asked if any VPS 'is' capable hosting a SA-MP server :P

I've been running a 20 player server on a 512MB ram server for a few months now. I've had a VPS with http://www.cheapvps.co.uk/ for over a year, and highly recommend them.

Don't run a GUI on your server, it's not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLinx
View Post
Even 50 slots on a VPS is asking for trouble. Disk I/O bottlenecks and limited CPU will kill your player-base.
OH REGINALD! I DISAGREE!

I ran a 60-player-server on a VPS for months and it was fine, no arbitrary lag spikes and minimal downtime.

8-10 servers with player peaks of 40 or more for 3 months now. Never had problems. 1GB RAM, around 400 used, and some octocore cpu from which i am allowed to use 70/800% constant and 200% peak (cpu was never over 20% yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
View Post
8-10 servers with player peaks of 40 or more for 3 months now. Never had problems. 1GB RAM, around 400 used, and some octocore cpu from which i am allowed to use 70/800% constant and 200% peak (cpu was never over 20% yet)
Do you have any bandwidth limits?

Well my specs are octocore cpu, 2gb Ram (Burst) 1gb (non Burst) 1.7tb or bandwith on 100Mb connection. 32gb Hard Drive. I only use about 32mbs or ram for 10 pepole and i have a couple of plugins. I only pay 20.95 and if you prefer 10.95 same specs just 1gb(burst) 512mb(standard)

(atleast) 1GB of ram
(atleast) 1.8-2.0GHz of a single core
(atleast) 200GB of bandwidth

have this and you should be fine for quite a while (if optimized gamemode) It's not much to get these type of specs either. About 20-30 bucks a month or less. People might argue with me about the ram but it's always good to be safe than sorry.

Make sure to ensure the company has easy upgrade options and are not pricey.

I would advise against running a SA-MP server on a VPS (unless you already have one). It requires a ton of bandwidth and would be cheaper to purchase services from Volt Host monthly. With a VPS, you must take care of any and all issues by yourself. Plus, if something should go wrong and you are not around, you are basically screwed. It would be better to run a website/forum from a VPS, than a SA-MP server. The decision is up to you though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
View Post
I would advise against running a SA-MP server on a VPS (unless you already have one). It requires a ton of bandwidth and would be cheaper to purchase services from Volt Host monthly. With a VPS, you must take care of any and all issues by yourself. Plus, if something should go wrong and you are not around, you are basically screwed. It would be better to run a website/forum from a VPS, than a SA-MP server. The decision is up to you though...
Depends how many slots you are dealing with to be honest. If it's about 200 or more you can well host a SA-MP server off a VPS and I will tell you now a VPS is completely fine for hosting a SA-MP server. I recommend a dedicated if your dealing with a good number of players like at least over 100 players get a 40-50 dollar dedicated. But other than that a VPS can run completely fine and a whole lot smother than any other game host if it has the right specs.

Where also not talking about VPS's from serverFFS where bandwidth is just completely crazy. A overall price for bandwidth at most host's is a well decent price.