Vista Not Responding

I have a laptop which seemed to be working fine. Ever since today, it won't shutdown OR restart
Sometimes when it does, it goes extremely slow. Anyone know what the problem is or how to fix it?

It's a Sony Vaio (FZ Series)
Running Vista Home Premium (with service pack 2)
2 Gigs of RAM
32-bit Operating System

Please help!!

* Don't tell me to get a new computer or reformat this

Have you tried system recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Correlli
Have you tried system recovery?
I haven't. The computer was suddenly going very slow today when I started it up. I did a disk cleanup, virus scan, spyware scan, and last night I deleted my old system recovery files to gain 30 something gigs of space.

With the disk cleanup, I gained another 9 gigs of space. The virus scan found nothing, and the spyware scan found 3 things which have been quarantined.

your problem: windows vista
your solution: windows 7

try to do safe mode then system restore
for about 3 days ago.

happened to me and solved all the problems

go and give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PPFS
propilot ]
for about 3 days ago.

go and give it a try
Thanks, but like I said earlier I deleted the old restore files to gain 30some gigs of my space back.
I've restored to as far back as I can. Let's see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SAP
Sidhu ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [PPFS
propilot ]
for about 3 days ago.

go and give it a try
Thanks, but like I said earlier I deleted the old restore files to gain 30some gigs of my space back.
I've restored to as far back as I can. Let's see how it goes.
Your welcome, well if it wont work you can try my way
good luck

"* Don't tell me to get a new computer or reformat this"

if that's toward what i said, windows 7 is free currently because its beta.

if you have vista, you will be able to download free because its a free upgrade because vista sucks.

if you have another computer, just download it from microsoft.com and burn the iso file to a dvd, then you can install the os in bios mode of your vista computer.

i highly recommend upgrading if you cant get it working. win7 is free and works 10x better than vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <__Ǝthan__>
"* Don't tell me to get a new computer or reformat this"

if that's toward what i said, windows 7 is free currently because its beta.

if you have vista, you will be able to download free because its a free upgrade because vista sucks.

if you have another computer, just download it from microsoft.com and burn the iso file to a dvd, then you can install the os in bios mode of your vista computer.

i highly recommend upgrading if you cant get it working. win7 is free and works 10x better than vista.
LOL.. That's not aimed towards you, I had that there when I started the topic. Anyways, I'm just going to reformat it today. I can't have this shit going on with my computer while I still have school. I need my computer to do my work and whatever, and with a computer like this, I don't think I'll be able to do it.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on how to fix this problem. And I'll try upgrading to Windows 7 once I get this reformatted.

I'm reformatting my computer and I've backed up:

-Music
-Pictures
-Programs
-Movies
-School Work
-Documents
-List of programs
-GTA & MTA Stuff

What else do I need to backup? (Just making sure I don't lose anything important)