5 Questions about creating and running a server

1. Is it possible to create and run a RP server in [Internet] tab, without paying anything? [currently i dont have any money]
2. Is a test server needed to be created to test the new updates? and does it cost to have 2 servers [in internet tab]?
3. Do I need scripting skills to create it, or is it easy to learn scripting it? Hiring scripters is a must?
4. If the server is created, where are the stats of players [money, level, etc] saved? in my computer?
5. If paying to create and keep it running is a must, whats the minimum of money needed to spend is, to create and to keep it running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
View Post
1. Is it possible to create and run a RP server in [Internet] tab, without paying anything? [currently i dont have any money]
2. Is a test server needed to be created to test the new updates? and does it cost to have 2 servers [in internet tab]?
3. Do I need scripting skills to create it, or is it easy to learn scripting it? Hiring scripters is a must?
4. If the server is created, where are the stats of players [money, level, etc] saved? in my computer?
5. If paying to create and keep it running is a must, whats the minimum of money needed to spend is, to create and to keep it running?
Yes, it is possible. You need IP forwarding. It will be set localhost (your IP) and it will work as long you keep it working.

2. Yes, it is needed, but server can be used localhost and turn it on only when you want to test. (the best way and without any money cost)

3. Better learn than hire. Because employees can abandon you.

4. Mysql / Dini (better mysql) MYSQL: Database. DINI: Your computer.

5. Webhost: 10 USD year. Gamehost: 5 USD monthly.

5.83 USD per month

good luck

1: Technically, yes. You can run the server on your own computer or on a free host (a service that runs the server on their infrastructure).
2: In my opinion, you need a dev/test server to test updates before you release them to the public.
3: You should learn scripting yourself. People can help you, but in the end you will need to understand the script yourself.
4: Typically on the same machine where the server itself runs. I suggest paying for a server.
5: To host a decent server and a website/forum, you’ll be looking at 5-10 USD monthly.

It's better to get a VPS but if you can't get into the trouble with setting it up and everything then you may be interested to go for a game server instead. VPS can also be used to host your website, game server and UCP all in one.

About hiring developers/ scripter, Yeah, you'll need to hire one unless you can script and understand it.

For database, go for SQL, whether it's MySQL or SQLite.

It's a bad time to create a RP server though. And you'll need hosted tab to get players, there are threads explaining the need of hosted tab and why it's necessary.