CPU help

can you upgrade a emachines t5048 to a quad core

ive upgraded my ram moniter graphics card and cpu power mabob...

Download CPUZ and post back all the details of your processor and motherboard that it reports. It's best to screenshot it and post here.

Well after searching for "emachines t5048", I found out that your pc came with a Pentium 4, so 1st things 1st, an Intel core 2 quad (not i7) would physically fit in your processor socket. (LGA775)

Whether or not a quad core would actually function is down to your motherboard. So yeah, download CPUZ like KingJ mentioned.

Here's a better idea - get a dual core, not a quad core. Dual cores perform better than quads miraculously, so a quad is just a waste of cash. Get something like an Intel E5200, dual core 2.4GHz L2 2MB Cache, it does the trick. Providing your mobo can take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes
Dual cores perform better than quads miraculously
Wait, what?

For the same speed and processor architecture, a Quad Core should perform twice as much as a Dual Core. Remember that the quoted clockspeed is per core, not the sum of the cores. So a 2.0Ghz Dual Core chip has total theoretical processing power of 4.0Ghz, a Quad Core chip has 8.0Ghz of theoretical processing power. Of course, it doesn't scale exactly because of overheads and clockspeed is not a direct measure of performance but a quad core chip is much more powerful than a dual. Games to need to be programmed to take full advantage of a Quad core chip, but even if the game has only been dual-core optimised you will notice better performance as the two cores that the game is not using can be used for background tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ
Quote:
Wait, what?

For the same speed and processor architecture, a Quad Core should perform twice as much as a Dual Core. Remember that the quoted clockspeed is per core, not the sum of the cores. So a 2.0Ghz Dual Core chip has total theoretical processing power of 4.0Ghz, a Quad Core chip has 8.0Ghz of theoretical processing power. Of course, it doesn't scale exactly because of overheads and clockspeed is not a direct measure of performance but a quad core chip is much more powerful than a dual. Games to need to be programmed to take full advantage of a Quad core chip, but even if the game has only been dual-core optimised you will notice better performance as the two cores that the game is not using can be used for background tasks.
I just learned something.

if to small here you go http://i36.tinypic.com/24v0dhc.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/359wj6g.jpg

Your motherboard has a compatible socket (fitting) - LGA 775, however, your motherboard does not support the Core 2 (Dual/Quad) line of processors. Pentium 4, Pentium D and Celeron only.

You could upgrade to a Pentium D (Dual Core) processor. They are quite cheap, but that's the best you can get on this motherboard.

Do me next! I've been searching for some new processors lately and have looked at the AMD AthlonX2 and PhenomX3 line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ
Quote:
Wait, what?

That is so wrong. Dual/quad core means that your procesor has 2 or 4 cores and it can run more programs in the same time with no problems...