New Ban System in Development

Hey Guys,

I have been recently thinking up a few projects to do for the SA:MP community and one was for a simple and easy to use Control Panel for server owners to use to manage not only their server but their website as well.

I have also thought about a new ban system which not only bans IP Addresses but also bans (HWID)Hardware IDs.
More about Hardware IDs are here.

My thought is that I could create a software which players create an account using an email and password.
Then their (HWID)Hardware ID would be recorded to this specific account.
Once they register and the Hardware ID has been recorded they will be online and they will be given a unique code which changes for each time they log in, for example it may be something like: 1374903.

Then on the server end, people would log in with not a password but with their unique code and then access the server.
When people login, the server will have a script which searches the database of everyone logged in using the software, and then try to match the unique code up to the player who is trying to login, if their code is incorrect then it will come as Wrong Code.

If someone gets banned on a server, the server would again connect to the software database and get the Hardware ID and add that to a banned list on the server end.
Then when someone comes in on a banned HWID, the server will connect to the software, if their unique code is linked to a banned HWID, then they will be kicked/banned from the server.

What I am thinking of doing is having software which server owners or even other players could search up a unique code and find out if they have been previously banned on another server. But their could be some mistakes with people being falsely banned and then being banned from other servers because of power hungry noobs.

So basicly, what I'd like to know is if anybody is willing to help me along with this.
I am looking for people who would like to do some BETA Testing with the software when I start development.
A Server with Internet Access will be needed.
Any help for this would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT]

I would also like to know whether or not this would be a good idea for servers.
It would decrease hackers on servers due to the recording of Hardware IDs.
If anybody has any suggestions, that would be great.

I personally would never download something just to join a server.

Its something that runs in the background, it would be something like Punkbuster, and prevents hackers from playing on servers they have been banned.

But its your choice, would you rather play on a server with hackers, or a server which has taken the step to prevent hackers using a system like this.

Not only would nobody download software to play on a server, i dont even think the sa-mp team would even approve of something like this.

There is so many other ways to ban players, and so many ways to prevent them from coming back if you know what your doing.

How would they not approve of it? What issues could arise from this?
People have requested for this type of thing to be done in SA:MP but the development team haven't done it.

[Edit]
Plus I can release source for the public so they can host the application themselves if they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj101
View Post
Not only would nobody download software to play on a server, i dont even think the sa-mp team would even approve of something like this.

There is so many other ways to ban players, and so many ways to prevent them from coming back if you know what your doing.
Well as you own/host a server SAMP dosnt really have nothing to do about it. They only developed the multiplayer client.
As for filterscripts/plugins/includes you are free to do what you want. As some servers even have personal gta3.img files to be able to get full experience.

Yes, there are ways to ban players and cheaters. Tho, no way is a bad way. All ways are good ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redirect Left
View Post
The best antihack will always be admins.
Tell me, on what server are admins on 24/7. I would love to know that.

And yes i would rather download some "shi" and be able to play, than have retards hacking. Like 97% of the SAMP server has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mooth
View Post
Tell me, on what server are admins on 24/7. I would love to know that.
I could tell you one. But it'd be advertising so I'd best not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si|ent
View Post
I could tell you one. But it'd be advertising so I'd best not
Yeah same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MM]IKKE
View Post
From a removed thread.

If you did some research on this, you would notice there are some of the IDs which consist of about 5% of your playerbase. If 2 of these IDs get banned, 1 out of 10 players will not be able to join your server anymore. Well done.
It was not designed to replace IP bans. Rather a method to help keep track of some troublesome players. Many players share the same hash. But what you just said should be considered a worst-case scenario. There are plenty of unique hashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW
View Post
It was not designed to replace IP bans. Rather a method to help keep track of some troublesome players. Many players share the same hash. But what you just said should be considered a worst-case scenario. There are plenty of unique hashes.
If you solely ban using the ID Kalcor made, you will get these 2 common ones banned within 3 days on an average-popular server... So I wouldn't call it worse-case.

I was just trying to point out that it should not be used as a stand-alone ban system. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about it, but posts about this feature generally got removed (even the one with Kalcor's reply in it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face9000
View Post
Thats why range's exists.
Some ISPs use only about 3 ranges in total. We once had a ban evader with 3 IP ranges (127.0.*.*, 127.15.*.* & 127.255.*.* for example). After we banned those, most of the Egypt people couldn't join anymore. Same for some Slovenian ISP.

IPs used to be very useful in bans, but it seems dynamic IPs got way more widespread than some years ago. Using single IP bans ends up in banning the same people over and over again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperViper
View Post
I personally would never download something just to join a server.
i would agree on that.