Rover 600 won't start?

Hey guys, I know most of you are young and have no clue about cars, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

We got a "new" car, A Rover 600. It's green and has 140k miles. It won't start, We put the key in and it sounds like it's trying (not for long, like a second) and then it stops. My dad believes it's the battery that's dead. What is it? Luckily we have another vehicle to get around in, but, Are there any car mechanics around here? It's a 1998 btw.

It is most likely the battery, by the sounds of things it ticks over then stops? If so, my brother had the same problem with his Focus RS and it was indeed the battery, best bet is to get it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido
Посмотреть сообщение
It is most likely the battery, by the sounds of things it ticks over then stops? If so, my brother had the same problem with his Focus RS and it was indeed the battery, best bet is to get it replaced.
It's like lighting up, but it stops and turns off.

Its the battery..or maybe there's no fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HK]Ryder[AN]
Посмотреть сообщение
Its the battery..or maybe there's no fuel?
There couldn't be, The guy we got it from drove it here on Friday. I'm not sure though. It may be the battery. We have the AA home recovery thing, We are going to do that I think.

Check if things like the radio, dash lights and stuff like that work without having to turn the engine on. If they do work well then it's not the battery, if they don't work or the lights don't show up bright then it's the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn
Посмотреть сообщение
It's like lighting up, but it stops and turns off.
Do what the other guy said, turn your lights on and are they really dim or just go out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1ceC1ty
Посмотреть сообщение
Check if things like the radio, dash lights and stuff like that work without having to turn the engine on. If they do work well then it's not the battery, if they don't work or the lights don't show up bright then it's the battery.
The radio deck is missing (It doesn't work anyway, This car was basically free). The lights seem to work without it running.

Well probally is the battery or the Fues

http://www.******.si/imgres?um=1&hl=...r:15,s:0,i:125

Did you check oil? It's probably battery, oil, broken filter or fues as the guy above me said.

edit: It's not battery if your lights are working.