Can a smart cookie explain this?

Majority of the "mindfuck" images are usually crap, however this one I found quite interesting:

I was skeptical until I cut b and put it over the top of a in a graphics program only to notice the colours are identical.

Can anyone explain this?

Your mind takes in a number of different variables when attempting to figure out what color something is. If you see something in a bright light or a dark light, most of the time you see it having the same color. Depending on which way you look at that, it does have the same color whilst it doesn't.
In this picture, your mind is using the contrast of the tiles (difference of their shade of gray) to determine their color - not just their actual color; thus, figuring out what their color would be without the shadow casted onto them.
Your computer, on the other hand, doesn't know there's a shadow there; therefore, it gives you the color value of the tile with the shadow casted, which is wrong (if it were reality).

Explanation for ADHD-people: Your mind uses the tile contrast to figure out their colors behind the shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice
Посмотреть сообщение
Your mind takes in a number of different variables when attempting to figure out what color something is. If you see something in a bright light or a dark light, most of the time you see it having the same color. Depending on which way you look at that, it does have the same color whilst it doesn't.
In this picture, your mind is using the contrast of the tiles (difference of their shade of gray) to determine their color - not just their actual color; thus, figuring out what their color would be without the shadow casted onto them.
Your computer, on the other hand, doesn't know there's a shadow there; therefore, it gives you the color value of the tile with the shadow casted, which is wrong (if it were reality).

Explanation for ADHD-people: Your mind uses the tile contrast to figure out their colors behind the shadow.
Epic response!

The mind is a beautiful system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
Посмотреть сообщение
The mind is a beautiful system
Amen to that one!

Lol thank god he explained that as i would have protested that there different and i think alot of over people would have also XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestera
Посмотреть сообщение
Lol thank god he explained that as i would have protested that there different and i think alot of over people would have also XD
Cut it on top of the other on paint though, it's a cool illusion

Saw that pic on wikipedia some time ago...So here's the wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion (got there via "Optical Illusions", you should see the list of optical illusions, some are really epic )

And then in the links section you can find an explanation (basically the same what Slice said)
http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/ade...scription.html

I put this in photoshop and checked the colours :L my brain hurts now :\