server setup problem not found on any forums. Please need help!

Hi, I am a noob at this,but have been doing a lot of reading and understand the basics.
I have read every possible guide for port forwarding and server setup available so please don't reply with a basic guide as no matter which one i use it doesn't work.

First the facts:

I have a dynamic IP, i am in the process of persuading my ISP to give me a static IP free of charge.
I have had some problems portforwarding. (i have used all the guides again and portforward.com)
my router is the Thompson Speedtouch 780.

If anyone knows this router you will know that you have to set up a game and sharing setting in the config and i have followed the portforward.com to set the ports to 7777. (i have also tried other random port numbers)

when i use an open port checking tool, and i query my port 7777 it says that the port is closed.
(is this an acurate reading? could my port forwarding have been done incorrectly? if anyone has experience with speedtouch please let me know.)

Now the unusual issue:

I have made all the neccessary config changes to server.cfg and am only using the basic gamemodes that came with the server. (i attempt to change this and make my own gamemode once i can actually get into the server.)

I run the server and it starts fine.

I then start SA-MP and add my internal IP the 127.0 blah blah :7777
(now am i right in thinking that this will let me onto my server and will work even if i have a dynamic IP and my ports are not forwarded?)

my server shows up and has the title and has a ping (very low 1-10 but that's a good thing right?)

Now i enter my server and i get the orange writing top left as should be "initializing SA-MP" then "connecting to 127.X.X.XX:7777"
then "unable to establish connection (to server)" or something very similar then "retrying" and it goes in a never ending loop of the same thing unable to connect.

now i have not read of anyone having this problem, am i missing something incredibly basic?

like i say i have followed guides again and again, with no success.

I don't even want to be able to get friends to join yet or show up on "internet server list" or anything like that.

I just want to get into my server that is running on my PC so i can make changes to gamemodes and add filterscripts etc. and test them?

Please anybody help if you can? this just doesn't make sense. i will be greatly in your debt if anyone can assist.

Thanks,

TB

Ok update:

i now have a static IP address free of charge from my ISP.

and one more note on port forwarding:

when i am following instructions on portforward.com it tells me to set port range to forward, i am using:

To: 7777

as instructed in the guide.

but it does not tell me to forward it to anything.

I have options to add in:

Trigger Port and Port to forward to.

Speaking to the IT manager at my work he says i have to forward this to a port on the machine i am using.
he says if by default the SAMP uses 7777 then i just forward to 7777 on my PC.

so all port fields on the PF tool in my router config should be 7777.

do i also need to then enter my internal IP address so the router knows where its forwarding to?

and once again, if i am trying to connect to my server through my internal IP would any of this matter or am i having a problem with something else.

Thanks,

Ok thanks for the replies everyone

My server is now up and running.

I changed my IP to static, downloaded newest version of SAMP, then used a port that was open by default on my router.
i can now connect to my server using my internal IP and people can connect by using the external IP.
prolem resolved.

Quote:

Ok thanks for the replies everyone

No one replied ... or you deleted them

sarcasm mate!

problem resolved.