The Pentium Thread

The idea for this thread came around when I hooked up my old Pentium 4 machine, (before I upgraded to Quad) and found it surprising stable in playing modern games on Medium. The specifications are:

- Pentium 4 3.2Ghz HT 2MB cache. (over-clocked to 3.57Ghz)
- 2 x 1GB DDR2 533Mhz Kingston Value Ram
- 8600GT GDDR3 256MB Graphics card.

The funny thing is, I remember this being an extreamly slow system for my needs, but I was wrong. I recently installed Call of Duty 4 and it played it flawlessly on Medium settings. OK, so there may have been the odd freeze every now and then, but who cares.

After a while, I found SA-MP in my start menu, and thought, the hell with it, I fired it up and away we went. (older version, had to upgrade to 0.2x ) I set it to 1024x768 on High settings, with Distance on full, and Walla! Another flawless gaming experience.

Then I went ahead and installed GTA IV… (lol, read on) and believe it or not, it played once again… Flawlessly. Well, on Low settings of course, but it still played.

I now personally believe that I should add another 2 x 1GB dual Kingston Value ram and a 500GB HHD, and turn that into my personal gaming system. I also recently discovered "MicroXP" which is a stripped out version of Windows XP SP3 that is 80% less resource hungry, what a bonus.

I started this thread so everyone can share their experiences with Pentium, so go on ahead and post if you own/ed a Pentium system. We want to here your views and opinions. Don't forget to post your specs!

Regards,
The Wise Guys.

Well anyone with pentium 4 can play gta4. I tried it on my old computer and it worked like a charm But you need a desend ammount of RAM and Gfx card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercetti_
Well anyone with pentium 4 can play gta4. I tried it on my old computer and it worked like a charm But you need a desend ammount of RAM and Gfx card
The one I used had 2GB, which is not all that bad. And the 8600GT handled it pretty well.

I kept my old pentium computer just to play old games (like Carmageddon series, worms, etc) because they play crap on my newer system.

Specs of pentium system are:

RAM: 512MB
GFX Card: Absolutely no idea, it's a built in one, it has around 64MB VRAM
Screen Resolution: 640*480 FTW!
HDD: 20GB
Processor: Pentium II (1GHZ)

On my PC that I always play on cuz I dont have any other (lol) has this:

Windows XP SP3
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
1024 MB RAM (1 GB)
nVidia Geforce 3 Ti500
Screen Resolution: 1280x1024
HDD: 111 GB

And I can run SA-MP with good fps, CS 1.6 with good fps, CS:S ( LOL ) with good fps, World of Warcraft with a little lower fps, but it's OK

Tbh Im kinda proud / suprised that a geforce 3 card can run new games, hehe.

Cheers,

Klutty.

Great, this is coming along well. Any else own/ed Pentium?

I have a pentium machine not used in years though

3.2ghz pentium 4 2mb cache
2GB RAM 800
300GB HDD
8800GTX

Cant beat the good old times ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangereeno
I have a pentium machine not used in years though

3.2ghz pentium 4 2mb cache
2GB RAM 800
300GB HDD