[TUTORIAL] 3D Terrain/Island Creation

So recently I created a 15 minute tutorial for my small SA:MP experienced developers community, and I decided to post here as well.
In this tutorial I will show you how to create a 3D terrain from scratch using following software;
Blender, Sketchup, World Machine, Adobe Photoshop (+ VUE for rendering excellent screenshots)

Our first step is to create a map of our terrain.
We will create the map in Adobe Photoshop, and produce a .PNG image of a silhouette map with transparent background.
This the the most important step of your terrain creation.
For this you don't need extra help; since creating an image like this in photoshop is easy.

You can draw a simple silhouette, or you if you're experienced to put more effort into it and create a GTA SA like map like this:

This video is sequenced into 6 parts:
  • 1: How turn PNG into terrain via World Machine - how to convert your map into a 3D mesh, and export it into .OBJ
  • 2: How to import the terrain into Blender - import the exported mesh from World Machine into blender
  • 3: How to reduce poly and faces count in Blender - number of faces must be under 3000 !
  • 4: How to texture easily using Sketchup - Sketchup is perfect for all kinds of modelling, including quick texturing.
  • 5: How to export the final terrain into .DFF - This is for beginners
  • 6: How to apply the texture to DFF model - This is for beginners
  • + Ingame preview

Even though the "island" turned out pretty small, you can change the size of a model in blender hitting letter "S".
The poly proportion and faces count do not depend on the size of a model.
Do not make a model to big, otherwise kdff won't be able create a collision to it.
The best size for an island/terrain is Mount Chiliad.

If you want to create a HIGH POLY terrain (without the part 3 of the tutorial)
you need to slice up your objects into pieces of 3000 faces max.
Then, when mapping ingame you need to bind/map them together (like legos).
If you wish to create natural roads, use World Machine and create them via layout generator (just draw a line and play with the settings until you're satisfied with the outcome of the roads).
Also, if you wish to use textures from World Machine, check some tutorials how to export an UV map.

If you want to see more tutorials, you can regularly visit www.deaddon.net or apply for our selected developing team.

To Niđo!!!!!!

But I don't think it's fair to record this as you have spent too much time and had problems learning all this. Now every kid will know how to create terrains and models, which is definetly not good for success and unique stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croheart
Посмотреть сообщение
To Niđo!!!!!!

But I don't think it's fair to record this as you have spent too much time and had problems learning all this. Now every kid will know how to create terrains and models, which is definetly not good for success and unique stuff.
It is in my interest other developers get better. I only don't want them copying me.
I want SA:MP to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croheart
Посмотреть сообщение
To Niđo!!!!!!

That's a stupid logic lol. Should teachers also not teach in school, because they spent so much time learning that stuff in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Twixx]
Посмотреть сообщение
That's a stupid logic lol. Should teachers also not teach in school, because they spent so much time learning that stuff in the first place?
He is just afraid of copycats