[CRITICAL VULNERABILITY] RHEL

Hello all,

We received this email today:

Код:
Hello,

We're emailing all our customers that use Authy for their SSH shells. We wanted to let you know that today, a critical vulnerability in bash (Bourne-Again-SHell) was disclosed by Stephane Chazelas.

This vulnerability is so critical that even if you have Two-Factor Authentication an attacker would be able to by-pass the two-factor verification and execute commands remotely on your server.
We recommend you update now.

Here's a few things to help you:

To test if you are vulnerable you can use the following command:

env t='() { :;}; echo You are vulnerable.' bash -c "true"

If it prints "You are vulnerable" you need to upgrade as soon as possible. Patches for the major Linux distributions have been already released.

If you are using a Ubuntu or Debian type the following commands to apply the security patch:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

If you are using RedHat, CentOS or Fedora type the following commands to apply the security patch:

yum clean all
yum update bash

If you want to know more about this vulnerability please read the following thread on the oss-sec mailing list:

http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/650

Authy Engineering Team
Update your bash asap.

http://www.osvdb.org/show/osvdb/112004

http://www.scip.ch/en/?vuldb.67685

OS X is also affected, of course, although Apple haven't released an update yet, so you'll have to manually recompile if you want to patch it.

To elaborate: this vulnerability was semi-patched, but a variant of the malicious-environment-variable-execution bug was subsequently discovered not to be covered by the original patch. This secondary vulnerability has been assigned as CVE-2014-7169. I don't believe a patch has yet been released. Stay on top of your package upgrades for the next few days.

The following demonstrates the secondary vulnerability:
Код:
$ ls -l echo
ls: cannot access echo: No such file or directory

$ bash -c 'echo date -R'
date -R

$ env -i X='() { (a)=>\' bash -c 'echo date -R'
bash: X: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `='
bash: X: line 1: `'
bash: error importing function definition for `X'

$ ls -l echo
-rw-rw-r-- 1 renegade renegade 32 Sep 25 12:29 echo

$ cat echo
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:29:43 +0100
Instead of running the command 'echo date -R', bash executes the command 'date -R' and stores the output in the file 'echo'.

In any case, you're only vulnerable if you have a scenario where someone can set environment variables in the same environment that bash is running in - that includes CGI bash scripts and physical terminal access. However, a properly secured SSH environment isn't inherently vulnerable, unless a malicious user is able to get to login and get to the stage where they have access to a shell environment.

Edit: This topic should be renamed - the vulnerability is not in Red Hat Enterprise Linux, nor does it solely affect RHEL users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade334
Посмотреть сообщение
OS X is also affected, of course, although Apple haven't released an update yet, so you'll have to manually recompile if you want to patch it.

To elaborate: this vulnerability was semi-patched, but a variant of the malicious-environment-variable-execution bug was subsequently discovered not to be covered by the original patch. This secondary vulnerability has been assigned as CVE-2014-7169. I don't believe a patch has yet been released. Stay on top of your package upgrades for the next few days.

The following demonstrates the secondary vulnerability:
Код:
$ ls -l echo
ls: cannot access echo: No such file or directory

$ bash -c 'echo date -R'
date -R

$ env -i X='() { (a)=>\' bash -c 'echo date -R'
bash: X: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `='
bash: X: line 1: `'
bash: error importing function definition for `X'

$ ls -l echo
-rw-rw-r-- 1 renegade renegade 32 Sep 25 12:29 echo

$ cat echo
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:29:43 +0100
Instead of running the command 'echo date -R', bash executes the command 'date -R' and stores the output in the file 'echo'.

In any case, you're only vulnerable if you have a scenario where someone can set environment variables in the same environment that bash is running in - that includes CGI bash scripts and physical terminal access. However, a properly secured SSH environment isn't inherently vulnerable, unless a malicious user is able to get to login and get to the stage where they have access to a shell environment.

Edit: This topic should be renamed - the vulnerability is not in Red Hat Enterprise Linux, nor does it solely affect RHEL users.
Yes, of course. I tried rename the topic, but, without success..

.cgi people will suffer.

I've put together a test script for these vulnerabilities, if anyone needs to check.

http://www.renegade334.me.uk/node/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade334
Посмотреть сообщение
Apple has released an update, not popping up in the Software Updates, but it's on their site: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1769