Devin just snapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger
View Post
Nah' I totally agree that NGG should have justice over this, leaking is a serious crime and should not happen, but sadly it happens. :/
Exactly. I'm not an NGG fan, however, I think they're overreacting. Let me explain:

Script is leaked. It happens. Software gets leaked/pirated all the time on the internet. It hurts the companies in the long run.
I don't see how it's hurting NGG at all! They still have a huge playerbase, they're still famous. What do they plan to gain out of this? It makes no sense whatsoever!
Once something is leaked on the internet, you will spend the rest of your life trying to remove it! It's done! Over! Face it!
Yeah, it's illegal, do the kiddies in this community care? No. Would the law care? No. You're wasting your money and time in chasing ghosts.
1 server gets shut down, 3 more pop up, it never ends!

I thought or at least understood that no one could own a true SA-MP script because it is put together by so many people on the SA-MP team? So if they can sue due to some form of copyright infringement, would not the SA-MP team be able to get part of that as well or even sue NGG for monies they may receive from said lawsuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger
View Post
Very true and at the same time not true. If they did officially posted their script somewhere, they are basically saying in legal terms: "Welcome to use our script." And this is where the license stuffs comes in. The copyright just says that the person or the NGG team do own the script, but if they decide to publish it copyright is not valid anymore, depending on what license they have.
Well, okay, thats true somehow.
But what if you put an image on your website that is copyrighted by you. Everyone can access and copy it, but noone is allowed to reuse it. It doesnt need any extra license. Shouldnt be different for a script. Games often contain copyrighted plaintext scripts. Thats not an invitation to steal it, but people still mustnt reuse it for their own purposes (thats why it is forbidden to offer any original gta files for download here). Javascript probably can also be copyrighted. Publicly available, but still no permission to reuse it, even if theres no license given at all.
Maybe im thinking the wrong way, but I dont see a difference to a pawn script here.

Anyways, doesnt matter, cause as I said the script cant be copyrighted, they dont completely own it, and trying to "make it their own" script would be a copyright violation itself.

If anything, NGG is doing something "illegal". They are using the god-father script... Who's to say thats not "copyrighted"? It goes both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
View Post
If anything, NGG is doing something "illegal". They are using the god-father script... Who's to say thats not "copyrighted"? It goes both ways.
Godfather isnt copyrighted. And its not illegal to use it, especially because godfather was explicitly published by the author for further use.
Getting copyright for something involves paying high fees and proving that it is only your work and not containing any strangers content. Thats why samp scripts themselves cant be copyrighted, if you read before posting you would have known that.

I am pretty sure that NGG has tried suing people so many times, Devin you must remember,
Scripts are not your property, in reality they are Rockstar North property,
Cited - https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=287022

I can understand teamspeak and other things but have fun getting the SAMP Script taken down team too actually give a crap about your staff members whom failed to not leak the script. Obviously you need too get your staff in line or it's just gonna keep happening.

This forum isn't the place for server drama.