General PAWN questions: Beginner from other languages...

I've decided to learn a new language, as a hobby-type thing, so I just decided to plump for PAWN and do some stuff in SA:MP. Anyways, I noticed that most people either use Notepad++ or Pawno. Being a GNU/Linux and BSD man myself I'm not into any of that stuff.

I, personally use a mixture of Emacs and VIM, depending on what I'm doing. I was first of all, just wondering whether or not anyone knew of a decent mode in either VIM or Emacs, as I really don't mind which.

The second question is just... how on EARTH do you guys cope without dynamic array allocation. I was messing about with my knowledge from C and other languages with some of the things on the LS-RP dev app, for the fun of it, and the easiest way to do it is likely with dynamic array allocation. When I found out PAWN doesn't support it, my heart sank, haha.

All my maths-based work tends to rely heavily on it.

Anyway, if you can answer any/all of my questions, I'd be most appreciative.

I can only answer the second question. The answer is just, "we cope with it because it's not there." That's it! We haven't, any other option. Also, it's not quite necessary, come to think of it, I mean for the SA-MP & PAWN scope, it's not required (IMHO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat_Pawar
Посмотреть сообщение
I can only answer the second question. The answer is just, "we cope with it because it's not there." That's it! We haven't, any other option. Also, it's not quite necessary, come to think of it, I mean for the SA-MP & PAWN scope, it's not required (IMHO.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
Most people use PAWNO and Notepad++ because the compiler only supports Windows. I don't know how well it copes with Wine, and there are Linux ones available but they don't support some SA:MP additions. Zeex started a project to rebuild the lost source (on github) but I don't know how compatible it is with some corner cases. As a result, I don't know what mode is best, but I'd try C or C++ (I use C++ mode in Notepad++ as it supports /**? etc).
I see. Thanks both of you. It was just a couple of things that I guess you only learn via asking or via experience. I get what you mean about coping because it's just simply not there. I guess I'll just have to do a little work around.

As for the Emacs/VIM stuff, in that case ******, with that suggestion, for the time being I'll just use Emacs/VIM with their respective C++ modes. However, if anyone is interested I might just make a .el mode for Emacs and a VIM mode for PAWN if anyone wants. Do you reckon it'll be of use to anyone?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I'd be interested in a Vi(m) mode (I don't use Emacs simply because I don't have it, not because of any underlying belief that one is better than the other). If you do make one, there's not really a reason not to release it tbh even if very few people do use it.
Eight Megabytes and Constantly Swapping.

I guess, I'm big on the Free Software front, I'd release it just because, it was more of if anyone'd actually want to have/use it at all. For me, VIM (OCD about the capitalisation, even though I added that in :P ) is nice, but Emacs is just the GNU way. And LISP...

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Most people use PAWNO and Notepad++ because the compiler only supports Windows. I don't know how well it copes with Wine, and there are Linux ones available but they don't support some SA:MP additions.
PAWNO works in WINE on Ubuntu.
Used it before!