Defrag, merged with, Defragmenting - does it really works

This is the first time i've defragged my harddrive and was way back when i was playing doom.
It didnt really speed up my pc, instead it destroyed some audio files, it turned into shit now
So the question is,
Does defrag really makes a difference or not.?

Yes, defrag makes a difference. Imagine putting together a jigsaw puzzle when the pieces are scattered all over your house, in different rooms, under tables, behind the wardrobe. Defrag essentially gathers all the pieces back into the box enabling you to finish the puzzle much faster and more efficiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si|ent
Посмотреть сообщение
Yes, defrag makes a difference. Imagine putting together a jigsaw puzzle when the pieces are scattered all over your house, in different rooms, under tables, behind the wardrobe. Defrag essentially gathers all the pieces back into the box enabling you to finish the puzzle much faster and more efficiently.
Silent has a great analogy but if the first time you did it and it didn't make a difference, how long was the hard drive in use for? Maybe the pieces weren't so "scattered". Also, consider investing in an SSD! They are super fast

I recommend using Defraggler rather than the tool built in Windows, it's a lot better.

The default windows 7 defragger is great and theres no real need to use an external one if you run win 7, MS really improved that compared to the shitty earlier ones. Files shouldnt be corrupted unless the hard disk is already damaged (and so some fragments are written to broken clusters), or you shutdown the computer while its still running, the currently buffered data then disappears in the black computer void with the most tools.
Also important to know: Do not defrag SSD drives at any chance. They wont get any slower even with high fragmentation, and moving around all the data for defragging just drastically their lifetime.