Cant even figure title for that...

Not sure, if I should ask something like this in Sa:mp forums, but I've seen some pretty skilled people in vb/c# here. It's not all about programming and coding, I afraid. Let's get to the point then, I am working on a little project doing carpc all by myself. I am using a mini laptop, external 9" screen mounted in the dash, usb gps dongle etc. Now I am thinking how to show if seatbelts are buckled up, are headlights on, are there any opened doors. How should I connect them to my laptop? Microcontrollers? Any pre-made boards?

Sorry, I have problems expressing myself in English.

Edit
Running Windows XP, can upgrade to 7/8 if needed. Not going to use Linux

For reference:

He is making a computer for use inside his car. He would like to know how/if it is possible to connect the doors/headlights/seatbelts to the computer so it knows whether they are open/on/buckled or closed/off/unbuckled.

It possible if you have more knowledge on Technologies and Programming.I saw a guy who had a computer and the doors/headlights/seatbelts is connected to the computer.

I know it's possible, I even think i know how to script this (If it comes out I don't, I am one hell of a fast learner). My only concern is the hardware side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♣Frosty♣
Посмотреть сообщение
It possible if you have more knowledge on Technologies and Programming.I saw a guy who had a computer and the doors/headlights/seatbelts is connected to the computer.
The most newer 4-wheel vehicles have these plus many more in stock

Diagnostics port will output info about the lights seatbelts. Don't mess around with it while driving, or you could turn your car off by accident

You could place sensors at your door posts that signal when your doors are open (Normally Open sensors give a signal when the beam is interrupted). Then connect them to a µProcessor as a medium, the controller can communicate with your computer. Same for belt buckles. You can write a program in almost any language (I did it in C for my engineering project) that intercepts these signals and does something with it (e.g. telling you your doors are open).

If you don't have any experience with microprocessor programming or electrical circuits I wouldn't start on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Посмотреть сообщение
You could place sensors at your door posts that signal when your doors are open (Normally Open sensors give a signal when the beam is interrupted). Then connect them to a µProcessor as a medium, the controller can communicate with your computer. Same for belt buckles. You can write a program in almost any language (I did it in C for my engineering project) that intercepts these signals and does something with it (e.g. telling you your doors are open).

If you don't have any experience with microprocessor programming or electrical circuits I wouldn't start on it.
Well you've got to earn your experience somewhere, this might aswell be a good way to start despite the fact it can get a little complicated, there are tons of tutorials on the internet that will help in achieving the task step by step. (tutorials on processing data outputted by microcontrollers, but also on using sensors in combination with).

linuxthefish, I have thought about the diagnostics port actually. Must look, if one in my car supports those features, though. I GOT MORE HARDCORE POINTS THAN YOU IN THE SUMO SERVER MWHAHAHAHA

Sinner, just the answer I have been waiting for, huge thanks, will look into things you named

playbox12, Well I'm not that newb into those things. Thank you too