how hot should a cpu run?

i got a new computer yesterday, and im wondering how hot it should run.

its not overclocked and i have no intention of overclocking it as it runs fast enough as it is.

my cpu is a intel i7 3770k

it runs at about 40 celsius in the bios setup, and around 50 in gta 4 with max video setting, view distance, etc. with hd car pack

I just want to know whats the normal temperature of an i7 3770k and what temperature it overheats/fries at.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the rest of my pc specs.

i built itmyself, saved around $$$900$$$

intel i73770k

asus p8z77-v pro

evga superclocked geforce gtx 560 - 2 gb

2 x 8gb , 2 x 4gb g skill ripjaws x series (24gb total ram)

ocz zt series 750 watt psu

ocz 60gb ssd, for my os

seagate barracuda 1000gb, for my data

zalman z9 plus atx mid tower comp case

windows 7 professional

dvd burner

internal card reader, 3.5 inch expansion slot

40 degrees is normal, even 50 while playing GTA 4 at high settings. Nothing to worry about.

Nice specs btw

thanks, i dont get a new comp very often, so when i do, about every 4 years, i try to get a good one.

also, this computer under cost me under $1100, so for thosepeople still buying namebrand and not parts, stop! it takes like 30 minutes to put together, and saves hundreds of dollars

50 degrees i think

50? i know that they go to 90 when you overclock them, but im using standard heatsink and not a aftermarket one

Hey, we got the same mobo/cpu !

Anyway, when I was using the stock cooler mine went over that to around 75C. I know it's terrible, I was playing BF3/GTA IV on max settings (might be hotter on mine because of my room temperature).

But it was fine. I actually just upgraded to a Corsair H80, and it's epic. You should consider going out for one of these, or going for an aftermarket fan. Over time I'm sure you would want to keep your CPU cool just to expand the life time of it. Better safe to spend an extra $20-$100 than burn out a $300 CPU over the few years.

I get 50 C on my Phenom, Quad core 965 II

Don't worry about it at all. Most motherboards have built in fail safes, if any part gets to hot it'll shutdown without warning. Now, I think this is usally set to 85+ degrees (I may be off). But I have seen them get 90c easily. It really depends on your cooler, the CPU itself is capable of getting pretty darn hot. But it performs better when cooler.

100c and you are fucked. (or higher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn
Посмотреть сообщение
I get 50 C on my Phenom, Quad core 965 II
40 while doin' nothing or browsing the net,
50 while installing,
70 while playing,
I have pentium 4 3GHz 2M and Intel 775 cpu fan.

OT: it depends on your proccecor fan and the number of computer fan(s) & size(s).
I saw somebody with an average of 37c - 42c on idle.
suggest you just download a program that displays you the temerature of your computer parts.