Location of server.cfg

Hi all,

I'm starting up a server, which I am going to host on my own PC temporarily, and when I get more players I'll hire some host somewhere but that is not the main point. These are my stats:
static ip: 192.168.1.79 (( so server ip 192.168.1.79:7777 ))
location of my server.cfg: C:\Users\Antoine\Desktop\AnteinoServer
port: 7777

Now, I want to prevent hackers from obtaining my server.cfg of course, but I don't think turning off read/write/execute is enough. Now I want to know how hackers can even get to that file, is it something like:

192.168.1.79:7777/home/UsersAntoineDesktop/AnteinoServer/server.cfg ?

Please tell me how to acces this file trough typing in a browser. And how would that work in Linux?
Where do I start? I do not seem to understand how it really works..

ANY criticism or help is appreciated

My god.. (I'm an atheist)

Quote:

192.168.1.79:7777/home/UsersAntoineDesktop/AnteinoServer/server.cfg ?

That's a LOCAL IP! Everyone got one, no-one can access you through that IP and no-one but yourself can connect to your server with that IP, it's your computers internal IP.

And a hacker wont be able to access your computer without you downloading some sort of file from them, which probably is extremely rare and i doubt anyone would have time to waste it on you. It's not like anyone can just access your computer from a browser, jeez..

Man be nice or don't respond. This is getting me nowhere..

Can you at least tell me how to host a server on your own PC or is that realy complicated?

I learned you don't use your dynamic IP, at least, that is not working for me. I read something about xAmpp, can I host a server on my pc with that? Please tell me which steps to take, but note: If you are going to flip out again don't respond.

I'm atheist too.

Peace.

Firstly you'll need a good internet connection, i would recommend 100/100 if you're aiming for something serious, then you need to forward the port 7777, can be found at www.portforward.com, after that you'll need your external IP; www.Whatsmyip.org would do i guess, however, getting your ip static is hard and you'll have to contact your ISP, and there's a great chance they wont allow you to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elorreli
View Post
Firstly you'll need a good internet connection, i would recommend 100/100 if you're aiming for something serious, then you need to forward the port 7777, can be found at www.portforward.com, after that you'll need your external IP; www.Whatsmyip.org would do i guess, however, getting your ip static is hard and you'll have to contact your ISP, and there's a great chance they wont allow you to.
He may already have a static local IP. But most people have dynamic PUBLIC ips. Some ISP's have it so the ip doesn't change ever, even though they charge extra for a static public ip :P (my isp does this, so my ip doesn't change ). But forward the port, and if your ip changes; people will say "its offline!" even though it is, your ip probably changed. You can fix that by reading up on what DNS is, to understand it then use no-ip, or dyndns.

And dont worry about someone getting your server.cfg file. Unless they have infected your computer with a virus, or you have a ftp thats open on your server, you should be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elorreli
View Post
Thanks for your helping, it worked all fine

Dont worry about my IP, it is static, I live in the Netherlands, all of the IPs there are static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteino
View Post
Thanks for your helping, it worked all fine

Dont worry about my IP, it is static, I live in the Netherlands, all of the IPs there are static
No, that sounds highly unbelievable.

go to here
and then search for "How to make a FTP Server"