The Windows Longhorn concept, dated 2003. Project failed.

Longhorn concept
It was ment to be released much earlier than Vista.
It was supposed to be much better than 7, atleast after looks and performance.
Microsoft, you dissapointed us. We lost atleast 10 years of progress with your failure.
"Restarted" the project eh? And all we get is Windows Vista at the end! (they restarted the project in the middle due to the OS being too "buggy".. wait, aren't all of their OSes buggy? -.-)
Oh well. You can find beta builds on the web to try it yourself. Some of the builds are actually good enough for daily use, but you must use Windows XP compatibility at all times and you've barely got anything out of the Longhorn GUI.

The vid starts with a preview of the history of Windows, then... What "could've" happened.

(Off-topic: I feel so at home with old stuff. Windows 95 is all teh ftw for me)

Wow, I still think Windows 7 failed, I mean I love the design and feel but I had so many problems I had to switch back to XP but I miss the automatic drive updates. I couldn't play certain games (even on combatiblity mode) in steam, I couldn't use my keyboard (wtf?) Pawno would never allow me to open pawn documents I had to open the program than open the .pwn's, It was like one thing after another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTickle
Wow, I still think Windows 7 failed, I mean I love the design and feel but I had so many problems I had to switch back to XP but I miss the automatic drive updates. I couldn't play certain games (even on combatiblity mode) in steam, I couldn't use my keyboard (wtf?) Pawno would never allow me to open pawn documents I had to open the program than open the .pwn's, It was like one thing after another.
This isn't Windows 7.
Not even Windows Vista, as most say.
It's Windows Longhorn. Period.
Vista was "Longhorn" made again from scratch, completely different, though.

(please flame me. I will use all the flames to cook my chilidogs )

That windows would have rulled, Simply awesome effects and stuff,so blueish and simple made!....

Just looks like XP except different theme :P
Well actulley.. Looking at some other videos on ******* the theme looks the same but blue

Windows is trying to do what OpenSource Linux has been doing for years. Windows 7 eerily has a lot of the same desktop effects that have been available on Linux for quite a while. If you want to see the next version of Windows, install a bleeding edge Linux distro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprofitt
Windows is trying to do what OpenSource Linux has been doing for years. Windows 7 eerily has a lot of the same desktop effects that have been available on Linux for quite a while. If you want to see the next version of Windows, install a bleeding edge Linux distro.
Did you know that the concept video is from 2003?

Quote:

Just looks like XP except different theme
Well actulley.. Looking at some other videos on ******* the theme looks the same but blue

Ever heard of things called beta builds? They're not finished and the project was restarted at one point. Seems nobody knows how to read, eh? (Yeah, send me some flames back, I'll use them for mah Chilidogs!)
The finished OS was supposed to look like the concept.

Funny you start a topic about this, I just 'acquired' the only beta release for Windows Neptune, a canceled version of Windows that was to be "Windows 2000 Home Edition" if you will. The team that was working on this later combined with the Windows Odyssey team (the next corportate version, also canceled) to make Windows XP. Some evidence of very early XP components can be seen in the screens I just took on Neptune:

Boot screen

Logon screen (becomes Welcome screen in Windows XP)

Control Panel and Start Menu (nothing really different here)

Help and Support Center (this may or may not be ME's version, I'm not sure)

User Manager Home Page (Windows Identities)

More variety of Account types than Windows XP! (Owner, Adult, Child, Guest rather than Admin, Limited)

Nothing else is really different. Like I said, it was the first and only BETA release.

Most of you are complaining yet using their products.
Why? Because you like them.

Ah, Longhorn, a much debated topic
Some say Microsoft Screwed up by not releasing it, some don't even care
IMO, they should have modified XP more to make up for the flaws of vista instead of releasing it.