Server lags on AMD Athlon X2 with 2GB RAM

Hi,

I host an Server for an friend of mine, but it lags. Well, I cant test it, cause I dont play GTA but he says it lags miserably.

Server IP: 78.46.88.149:7777

Content of the server.cfg:
Quote:

lanmode 0
rcon_password xxxxxxx
maxplayers 20
port 7777
hostname [GER]G-Life Ultimate Reallife
gamemode0 GERMAN~1
filterscripts spe cre ab dc atm gangz
announce 0
query 1
weburl http://www.jtpc.de/
maxnpc 10
onfoot_rate 40
incar_rate 40
weapon_rate 40
stream_distance 300.0
stream_rate 100

So here is my question: Are there known isues and ways to solve this problem? actual I dont know the Revision of this Server and I will try out the last from the website, but I dont know if it would work better. Maybe one of you know a way.

thanks for your help from germany

I doubt that the lag is caused by the PC specifically, I'd say that it's your internet connection.

What speed is your internet?

100mbit- its an rootserver in an webcentre running linux debian 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJTP
100mbit- its an rootserver in an webcentre running linux debian 5
That's odd, and what kind of process usage is the server at? It could simply be the script that he's running, assuming that the server is not being over-used by other things.

So if you're sure that the server resources aren't being used up by other things, tell him to try running a default script that comes with the server pack and see if it lags.

you mean gamemode germananything? well- good idea. i will ask him and check it out
thanks

The problem is probably in your connection. It's not unusual to have lags with 1 Mbit connection

He has 100mbit, not 1mbit. I host 5 servers on a dedicated server with 100mbit connection and I don't get any lag whatsoever. Take a look what free -m and top return.

100Mbit, not 1mbit *g*... Full LAN speed. the webcentre connected to the internet by an 8gbit backbone or something like this.. as i said, its an webcentre. no traffic and no bandwidth limitation. and in the internal network of the webcentre its an 1gbit connection (10/100/1000LAN onboard 100 to the internet, 1000 to the locan area network). only to the internet its reduced to 100mbit... did i missunderstoood you now or didnt you understand me? hehe, doesnt matter

Well, the bandwidth is surly niot the problem, but thanks for you trying to help

**PS: damned- usually my english is better than today. dindt speak english a long time. if i dont understand something please stay gentle

well- here are some System Facts:

3 other Servers are running on my Root
the total CPU usage of all Processes (including the 4 gameservers) is less than 30% if all 4 gameservers are empty
more than 200mb of RAM is free in the times of the highest usage

The GTA Server lags all the time, doesnt matters if other servers are full or empty.

Have you tried with something higher than "stream_rate 100" in your server.cfg? Why not start at "stream_rate 1000" and see if the lag stops, then go ahead and lower the value if deemed necessary.

Good luck

sorry, was a type o. as you see, the last 0 is down the 100. it actual IS 1000 but thank you