Good Place to buy servers?

Hey all, just wondering, I don't want any of my stuff hosted, I want to host this shit from my house. It isn't for SA-MP...

I would at least want a server that can hold 200GB storage.

So you just want to buy hardware? Find the cheapest computer you can. SA-MP servers can run on anything. (oops)

Your home connection? Upload speed?

Well, Im planning on running this at my dads house, and he has this new Verizon FiOS hookup that gives him 10MBps. Great for hosting I guess.

Upload speed, I am not sure about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTails
Well, Im planning on running this at my dads house, and he has this new Verizon FiOS hookup that gives him 10MBps. Great for hosting I guess.

Upload speed, I am not sure about
Obviously if your gonna be using a server that people are gonna be constantly downloading from the upload speed has to be great, download speed shouldn't really matter to be honest..

Just got some info from my dad. Its a 8Mbps Upload speed. My dad does networking.

DELL™ PowerEdge™ R710

Intel® Xeon® X5570, 2.93Ghz, 8MB Cache, 6.40 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT
Intel® Xeon® X5570, 2.93Ghz, 8MB Cache, 6.40 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT
96GB Memory for 2CPU (12x8GB Dual Rank RDIMMs) 1066MHz
450GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive (Hot Plug)
Energy Smart Power Supply, Redundant (2 PSU), 570W, Power Saving BIOS Setting
Intel 10GbE Network Card SR optical, PCIe
Windows Server® 2008, Datacenter x64 Edition, Incl Hyper-V™(2 CPU) English >.>
APC Smart-UPS 5000i, 3750 Watt, rack mounted (5U)

Ј24,664.00 not including VAT or delivery.

No, no no, its nothing to do with "your" download speed. It's got to do with your "upload" speed. People will be connecting to "you" not you connecting to them, so "your" download speed is useless, you could have a 1kpbs download speed and it would be the same.

What matters here is your "upload" speeds. You will need upload speeds of around 15-20MBPS to run a decent SA-MP server with around 30-40 players.

And upload speeds cost a fortune if you was to request it custom from any ISP, the only best ones I know are Verizon, even though your with them, you need to request the other package that gives you around 50mbps upload speeds, which will host a few SA-MP servers lag free.

Hope this helps.

Put it this way, it’s like when using a Torrent program, and you set your "upload" speeds so people can connect to you and get information from you at specific speeds correct? Well, this is the same with server hosting, it’s not the speed that comes to "you" it’s the speeds that you send out.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy
No, no no, its nothing to do with "your" download speed. It's got to do with your "upload" speed. People will be connecting to "you" not you connecting to them, so "your" download speed is useless, you could have a 1kpbs download speed and it would be the same.

What matters here is your "upload" speeds. You will need upload speeds of around 15-20MBPS to run a decent SA-MP server with around 30-40 players.

And upload speeds cost a fortune if you was to request it custom from any ISP, the only best ones I know are Verizon, even though your with them, you need to request the other package that gives you around 50mbps upload speeds, which will host a few SA-MP servers lag free.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy
Put it this way, it’s like when using a Torrent program, and you set your "upload" speeds so people can connect to you and get information from you at specific speeds correct? Well, this is the same with server hosting, it’s not the speed that comes to "you" it’s the speeds that you send out.

Hope this helps.
We established this a few posts ago.