MySQL Problem

I am installing Moderntopia with MySQL. I put everything in the right folders, there is one problem with XAMPP. I go to localhost but it says: Error While Negotiating Connection every time. So I can't set up my Database. All Help is appreciated.

Have you installed phpMyAdmin to access your databases and see your tables, etc.

How do I install that?

check your firewall, forward mysql, get rid of XAMPP and get MySQL server 5.0 communtity edition with no crap like XAMPP, you dont need apache and all the crap to run the server

Ummm, can you slowly explain so I can do it step by step? I am kinda confused

i do agree with killar.

uninstall all of your xampp stuff. then go to mysql.com and download the correct version of mysql 5.0, dont get 5.1 it has some bugs in it. forward port 3306 on your router to ur computer. and then search navicat and install that. u can then use that to manage ur sql server

XAMPP is built so you can run a PHP forum easier

download MySQL Community Server, click me

install it, download the mysql gui tools, click me

or instead of the gui tools, download navicat, click me

I will give this a try and tell you how it goes.
What is the difference between GUI Tools and Navicat?

not much, GUI tools has more tools for managing the MySQL database/server, and navicat is basicly a database manager, GUI tools is free, navicat isnt

When I try setting up an instance it always gets stuck on execute on the third one. It says unable to start MySQL

what os are u running?
if its microsoft server, open administrative tools > services. and find the one called something like mysql, mysql5.0, something liek that. delete it, then make sure theres no process running in task manager named mysql or anything like that. then reinstall it.

EDIT:
before reinstalling, delete all of ur program files\mysql files, bc there will be a data folder in it.