Starting a server; still worth it?

Its funny, that Kal. is "working with biggest projects" to make samp updates, when biggest projects are in Lithuania. And well, i have no knowledge about someone from Lithuania working with him to suggest future updates, when i should, because i was or still am involved in development of biggest projects out there.

Feel free to quote it to Kal.

---

If u want to make RPG you gunna have to get realy "strong" team. Scripter, Ext. Mapper, Int. Mapper, Textdraw'er and other ppl for community m. And it will take a year to surpass that was is done today, and new stuff that is created during your dev time. Assuming you gunna write it from 0, and you have enough knowledge to make it in the first place.
IMO DM, TDM's has no future.
Survival could be really good choice, but not that dayz crap with zombies, it's just not for samp.
I could see King of the hill being really successful if you can make it right. But you can't make much money with it.

This thread, is indicative of the problem. We have too many here who are simply looking for reasons as to why their 'project' is being disadvantaged by the perceived 'inactivity' of updates...

It's almost as if they are looking for reasons to blame the maker of the mod, rather than the demise of their own server, being their own problem.

Really, you don't need big teams, fancy systems, or an amazing script... To make out it's a needed thing, is just stupid.

I've run a full 200 player server, on a script that was literally run-of-the-mill. That was also with no advertising, and no 'community' either.

Being that the internet list is "down" now, it's harder, but not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
Посмотреть сообщение
It's almost as if they are looking for reasons to blame the maker of the mod, rather than the demise of their own server, being their own problem.
The project inactivity is not helping. There's a lot of new and fresh ideas that people just don't wanna start because they don't have faith that sa-mp will be around. Like i said a few times before, just a few new features and a new version number would fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallee
Посмотреть сообщение
The project inactivity is not helping. There's a lot of new and fresh ideas that people just don't wanna start because they don't have faith that sa-mp will be around. Like i said a few times before, just a few new features and a new version number would fix this.
Actually, it wouldn't as such... You don't necessarily need new features, and this is where demand based development falls flat...

Users push for additions, and 'fixes' and then it ends up being a spam of "This'd look cool", then when it breaks they're all "FIX IT" when it was their push to make additions that broke it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Z
Посмотреть сообщение
What was once doesn't have to be today. Lack of any global advancements in the sa-mp community will not help stimulate a growing playerbase. Continue reading to find out why I think this way.

Less advancements means less things for developers to play with, which means the more experienced developers activity goes down when they tried all their ideas or they can't come up with anything they want to try (there might be no triggers for them to rethink their ideas if there are no global advancements).

New scripters will learn on the available sources in the current community, some new ideas will pop up, but without global advancement - anything that people think of, has been already tried.

Most people want to stand out, that's not going to happen when everything has already been tried. New scripters can only improve upon the currently available content. At one point the improvement rate will be so saturated that no real improvements will be made. Less and less people can stand out, this will mean even less active developers than before.

Ofcourse this is just a tiny bit of the overall story, but still very significant.

I remember back in 2008 I hosted a development server when I tried to learn pawn, except I couldn't learn because suddenly 60 people joined my server out of nowhere (and it worked quite well on a ADSL connection, pfooh, I didn't have fiber back then). So I played with them. I forgot to turn announce off.

Today? Good luck getting 60 players without advertisements, without a website, without hosted tab and without something to stand out.

What some people are describing is not just a concern, it's happening, and many will not believe that, they will say that the non-english player count keeps rising and rising. Even if it's true, this will not continue long. I don't care if the player count is really rising or descending. I don't even care if the numbers are fake bots.

The point is: sa-mp is built on a community of developers that support each other. They exchange valuable experience and extend sa-mp's functionality. It is understandable that it's in sa-mps best interest to keep the developers, especially the experienced ones, hooked to sa-mp. Which it fails to do so at the moment for quite a few experienced developers, unfortunately. Some keep strong and keep developing new cool stuff, their minds are rich with nice and creative ideas, combined with their experience they can hold on for a bit longer than the other developers. We will see how long those will last.

If it were me I would update sa-mp myself, firstly fix all the bugs, because a polished product is what everyone here deserves. After that, it's just going through all the suggestions, prioritizing them accordingly and implementing.
I skimmed it, but seriously, the constant spam of people making out that patches and shit are needed, especially when the topic here isn't that at all, is where this community is REALLY having a problem...

The thread is about whether or not it's a good idea for Mado to start scripting a server... Not whether or not people are happy with the update speed, the process of development or their own situations...

It's all about the topic, and this, is where this community is starting to be stupid... They ask a question, and so many come in making out that it's not worth it, and that the activity of the development cycle has ANYTHING to do with it.

Nope, just nope... The question is whether or not he should start a server... A simple question that gets drawn into a debate/spam regarding the client.

IMO you should invest in / join another community, starting a new server and that too without a perfect team of experts is a waste of time.

These things you're saying are good to hear only, be practical.

Whatever I've said it was totally relied on my past experience.

Trust newbies, and prepare to have them struggle with coding, then eventually end up stealing your code and quitting.

If you invest enough time and money to have an unique script, host and hosted listing I do believe it is still possible to create a succesful community. These search results are not based on the interest, people did not hear of SA-MP in these years so they started to ****** it. Established SA-MP players do not ****** ''San Andreas Multiplayer'' anymore. I don't think this game is dying if the playerbase on SA-MP.com is legible.

No matter what everyone here is saying if you make a legitimate community with legitimate scripters and a nice website and place fourth time and effort you can make a nice community, Everyone here is to lazy and negative to even try to so they sit around insulting SAMP which still has tons of English players and so much potential, Man I'd say go for your server and wish for the best because I support you and still run my server to this day and I'm doing fine.