Choosing paths.

Well, for some of us, it has came that time when we need to choose the path/career we want to follow in our lives. It is happening to me right now, and I honestly cannot decide between tourism - my island indwells on it - or a data processing/computing course - which allows me to learn several coding languages, Information Systems, Computer Applications and Operating Systems and Business Organisation and Management Applications. It's a very hard decision.

What about you? Has that time of transaction between the 9th grade and 10th grade (in most countries) happened to you already? What did you choose? What are you going to choose? What's your career gonna be based into?

Go as a computer engineer
or become a bank robber, your choice.

Or do what all youngsters are doing these days! Start a ******* channel with Minecraft lets plays and watch the money roll in!

PS:
The second thingy sounds like a good chooise since there's more jobs in that business, I THINK.

It's a frightening decision for me. In my hometown, there's not many possibilities as a computer engineer.

Next year for my GCSE's I've chosen Double ICT (yeah lot's of IT) electronics, and engineering. They all pretty much go together which is awesome.

Quote:

I've been in this situation. Just a tip, just because you choose something now doesn't mean you need to stay with it forever.

So even If I go for that cultural stuff, can I still get into computer engineering in the future?

The reality is, you'll most likely change career a lot of times during your life because you'll eventually get bored or leave for other reasons like higher salary. Just do what you want to do and in worst case just change path. You won't be able to find the right path in life just like that.

Quote:

I quit school to become a professional SA:MP player

I saw some guy say that one time.

My dream job(s) would be to get into Auto Racing, SWAT Team, TNT (Tactical Narcotics Team), or be a Mechanic for high end cars.

I would choose computer engineering. But you gotta be good at it if you wanna make some cash.

These are all assumptions made on (confirmed) stereotypes of touristical areas.

If you choose tourism, you will be able to live the life as you have always known it. You will do what most of the people you know do. You will earn money, but likely not become very rich. Tourism might decrease one day for some years and then you will need some spare money. You will not be able to switch jobs fast (eg during a crysis), since you don't have any "valuable" graduation for other branches.

If you choose IT, as you have mentioned, you might have to work hard to accomplish something in your home town. Same stuff as tourism, though if your company/the one you work for becomes locally popular, you might actually gain a lot of money. However remind yourself that other people will start in IT as well and might be better at it than you. Just like most other jobs. You will be able to switch jobs with this graduation, but since you said there's not a lot of IT over there at the moment, that might be a problem.

If you choose IT, you could also move to another area, something more crowded where the focus is not on tourism. You'll be able to switch jobs easily, should get a lot of job opportunities and when you are motivated and skilled enough you could make a shitload of money - IT is the most booming business since some years. Financially I would think this is the most stable and promisiong choice, however you should not underestimate the fact you moved area. If it's within your country, it wouldn't be such a big change I suppose (unless your country is huge, but I assume it is not). If it is in another country, keep in mind that you will be a stranger there. You will always be the foreigner. Plus, you will start a new life, which means you won't see any of your beloved ones regularly anymore.

Follow your heart. Do what you feel passionate for. For me this was a career in the Army, but do what you want to do. Do it because you like it, not because you're expected to follow a certain path or think you'll earn more money going down x path (IMO).

It sounds like your two choices have very different implications. Tourism, I don't know much about said field, but it definitely sounds fundamentally different than data processing/computing. This goes back to my original point. Do what makes you happy; whether that be tourism or working with computers. Tourism you get to see the world, meet new people, while computer-related jobs you're working with computers constantly and (imo) gets repetitive to a certain degree. However, the computing industry is rapidly growing and so is demand for competent workers to maintain computer systems. However, you did mention it's not popular in your area... But I think there would be more job security in IT-related fields.