Your opinion on RP servers

I am aware that this subject has been submitted many times before. However, I'd like to get an update on the current situation, as fresh as possible so to say. If you want to leave a comment then please make sure that you've read and understood everything. Thank you in advance for your contribution and I hope that others will find this voting useful. Please read the thread before voting.

The thing is, I'm planning to creating a RP GM from scratch with (of course) the basic RP elements, however with hopefully unique features and a lot of new mapping. Now, I know that there's 1000+ RP servers and honestly I doubt that I will have any unique features, but I might just get that perfect mix of features and mapping to be able to provide a somewhat "unique" feeling. I know I might be stubborn but hey, I'm a RP lover. I really don't find any other GM attractive.

Please keep in mind that I'm not (no offence) some little kid who wants to be able to rule people and/or get a lot of money from this project or something. The main purpose of this is to get a wider understanding of programming. I've learned a lot of batch, C#, JAVA and I'm good with smaller web-based programming languages such as PHP to name a few, so I figured out, why not try PAWN too? I think it's a great way to get a bigger picture of programming through switching between language to language.

So what's your opinion on this? Leave a comment why or why not people would make more RP servers. Are there even anyone out there who would like to play on a RP GM made from scratch? Of course, the GM will take a few years to be finished so why ask now? Well, if there are enough people interested today in a new RP server then there probably is next year too, which probably would be the release date of the server. Thanks!

Well honestly like you have already said, there are 100s of other RP servers, so you would have to be special to be able to be unique, because most of the time, you make a feature, others will see it and just make their own version of it..

And it would be nice to see a few more servers that are not NGG edits, ones that the owners / developers have put their time in to creating it, and I saw that you are doing it to help with your programming? Making an RP gamemode would be a great way to understand the language because of the amount of features that you would / could add, and the new includes etc that are being released each day! So yeh.. I say Go for it, it could become the next big thing!

I know right, I don't think I'd learn too much from creating a TDM server. And sure, I could come up with something truly unique, but I really don't have time for that and I don't want it to be a failure, so I'd like to make a RP GM because I'd learn a lot from it and since it's been a big hit before it might just become a hit again if I'm really dedicated with this. Thanks for the input, I'd like to hear more from others so that I can get a feel on if it's a good or bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker
Посмотреть сообщение
I know right, I don't think I'd learn too much from creating a TDM server. And sure, I could come up with something truly unique, but I really don't have time for that and I don't want it to be a failure, so I'd like to make a RP GM because I'd learn a lot from it and since it's been a big hit before it might just become a hit again if I'm really dedicated with this. Thanks for the input, I'd like to hear more from others so that I can get a feel on if it's a good or bad idea!
You've chosen the best way to improve your skills I've started something just like you few months ago, but I don't have that much free time to code entire RP server from scratch ... I'm still coding it, but not that much and the most important thing is that I've improved my skills a lot !
I wish you good luck, it might become something big

If you have time, will and funds, it can be a big success. However, if you have everything but secure funds, it can be an even bigger disappointment. You heve to be as independent as you can in everything, from scripting and mapping to securing that the server runs without any donations.

Sure there are a lot of roleplay servers, but they all look alike as they are mostly edits. And sure, others might copy or edit your ideas, but if they don't have will, time or funds, that will lead them nowhere.

My advice for you is to start scripting and saving money as soon as you can, and don't open any beta servers or advertise until a script is completly done. After that, contact some people you can trust and ask them if they want to be in your admin team. If you lost contact with them or if they aren't playing anymore, don't give admin positions to players you just met. Take the entire weight of the server, be the only admin and be fair to everyone. After some time, give junior admin to the most active players that you think you can trust. No matter how long it takes, don't promote them until you are completly sure that they are not biased or immature.
Don't give admin to kids or immature players because they wll surely screw over your server one day, no matter how long it takes or how well you think that you know them.
And one more thing, avoid giving anyone owner and co-owner ranks, no matter how good they seem to be. It is very hard being the only owner, but it is the only way to ensure that no one but yourself can fuck up your server.

I noticed that all servers with interasting scripts which aren't edites, have horrible admin team. That is why i advised you to be the only admin at the start, and avoid promoting anyone to owner or co-owner position.

Thanks MarTaTa for your comment!

I've got a lot of time since I'm still a student (studying Information Technology, last year starting this fall) and money has never been a problem, I've got many job opportunities and I will without doubt have a full time job next summer too. I'm very dedicated and mature about this. I am aware that it will take everything from 1-4 years and I will have to spend a lot of time on this. I've been with many communities before and ran a few myself. So I think I'm ready to start my own. Thanks for the tips TerrorDrone!

Simple Advice: Don't go for RP. There are already hundreds of RP servers out there. If you want to have uniquity, choose a unique gamemode. It's not like making a TDM script isn't going to teach you anything. TDM is not about setting up teams only. There are advance TDM features as well which you can learn. And if you've just started scripting in PAWN, I would say TDM is the best gamemode to start with. RP is kind of next-level. Having a knowledge of other programming languages will help you. But PAWN is a new language. So you should start from the basics first and then hop on to the more technical 'RP' scripts.

@Inverse firstly, thanks for your input. Secondly, I'm already comfortable with the Pawn language and I'm far away from new to coding. I'm not saying it's going to be unique, I'm just saying I love RP servers and I think I'd learn a lot from making one. I've got a feeling I'd be able to make a RP GM without problems because as I've said before and I quote TerrorDrone, I've got the
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorDrone
Посмотреть сообщение
time, will and funds.
And I didn't mean that I wanted to learn more of the basics of Pawn, because I've already know the basics and beyond that. I want to do something advanced which I'd learn from, not only related to Pawn but programming as a whole!

Oh, I thought you were new to PAWN. Well yeah then go with Roleplay. It will certainly teach you a lot regarding programming as a whole.

Make a unique RP server. For example I'm creating a 17th century roleplay server. Try something like that.
Pretty sure there's no RP server which is based on 1990's, the real gangster era were '' wha chu rap nigga? '' was common everyday (no racism intented).

come up with something.

edit: if you want to make modern roleplay server, get actually unique ideas. Even the small things, for example:

You can buy oxygen baloons for longer diving (when equipped, it attaches the nitro barrel on your back)

You can grow flowers, after awhile the flower object would come outta ground, and after you pick them up you get flowers (weapon).

etc, etc, possibilities are countless, the little things are what it makes unique.