Linux Distro

Hey everyone,

Well, I'm planning to switch to Linux. The Linux users here, which distro do you use and why? Please post your opinions with regard to its pros & cons and also the machine suitability, that would help in forming a rough overview. Btw, I use Dell D820 Laptop.

PS:
  • I tried searching on ******, but it didn't help that much.
  • I searched for related topics on forum, but were not exactly matching my need.
Thanks.

We here have used CentOS and it works perfectly for SA-MP servers.

There isnt really any cons about it that i would think of, mostly all of it is pros.

Unless you plan on programming, Linux right now isn't worth using as a primary OS. Ubuntu is the most adequete of what's available, but even that is quite severely lacking the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
Посмотреть сообщение
Unless you plan on programming, Linux right now isn't worth using as a primary OS. Ubuntu is the most adequete of what's available, but even that is quite severely lacking the basics.
I would say what he said

well, best linux operating sytem for home computers, is ubunto.
For game servers, centos or debian(fedora too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikito
Посмотреть сообщение
well, best linux operating sytem for home computers, is ubunto.
For game servers, centos or debian(fedora too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn
Посмотреть сообщение
I FREAKING LMFAO'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
Посмотреть сообщение
Currently I'm using Ubuntu. And I do have plans on exploring the programming. I heard about SlackWare being decently advanced. What about other distros apart from these two? Also, which distro has a larger platform?

http://distrowatch.com/

Read info about many distro's there, and find one that sounds right for you.

If your into media try Ubuntu Studio.

- Camacorn