Best place to learn the pawn language

Alright im looking to find the best way to learn pawn......Ive looked on samp wiki but its just no good it doesnt explain things enough and some of it is really hard to understand, so could someone please direct me to a good source to learn from, Also can you give me an estimate of how long it takes to learn pawn. If learning the code from scratch isnt the best thing to do please post for example if im better off editing other gamemodes or something please give me some feedback =P.

Thanks for the help

Regards Matthew

There already were multiple threads about this. The most recent one is this: https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=265266
In it there are lots of suggestions how to start and improve.

Noone will be able to give you a time how long it will take, as it depends on how much time you spent/previous experience and knowledge/your definition of "learning pawn" and much much more. All I can say is, if you are starting from 0 and want to create your own server from 0, expect at least some months. Gamemode edits will be much faster, but wont be that popular.

@Kush: I wouldnt start with Godfather, it isnt a good example for a well-written script and way too complicated and big for beginners. Better start with the gamemodes that come with the windows server (IMO).

Wrong Section...

But anyways, I'd recommend you to go through the godfather. Take a scan through it. When you want something done, try it out. GF already contains enough things in which you can attempt to create. You receive any problems, go in the scripting discussions section and post there.

I suggest you don't look at GF, its honestly not a good idea to try and learn old shitty methods.

My tips are look at some recent tutorials, Read the wiki through an through, and also read www.compuphase.com/pawn/Pawn_Language_Guide.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawkC
Посмотреть сообщение
I suggest you don't look at GF, its honestly not a good idea to try and learn old shitty methods.

My tips are look at some recent tutorials, Read the wiki through an through, and also read www.compuphase.com/pawn/Pawn_Language_Guide.pdf
That is a good link to say the least. But GF is a great way to start regardless of it's old and shitty methods. You may think "ohh it's shitty, it's old, and blah blah". You may be 'sick' of 'retarded' people coming into the scripting discussion section and posting their problems. But that's why people ask questions, not because they're retarded and stupid, but because they need help.

What i have decided i am going to do which i think is the best way for me to learn is look at a piece of script. then in my own game mode write out what i remember, if i get errors try and solve them myself before going back to the script i have previously looked at for guidance that way i will learn aswell as it helping me to error solve. What do you think.

Regards Matthew

www.compuphase.com/pawn/Pawn_Language_Guide.pdf

No, that's not what I said. I don't recommend you to 'write' out what you remember, because I can guarantee you won't remember anything. Learn functions, callbacks, their purposes, objectives etc... The wiki page has everything for you to need.

Alright ill read that thanks i know im rather dumb haha but hey im trying to learn haha thanks alot, So you want me to make a few scripts first then look at the pdf? haha oj

Many thanks Matthew

Is this coding language similar to Visual basic programing language because if so i know the basics of it am i right in thinking that?

pawn is more closely related to C.

"pawn is a simple, typeless, 32-bit “scripting” language with a C-like syntax."