Steam and GTA: SA

I bet this was discussed or someone else posted such topic before, but can the Steam version be downgraded, I want a final verdict.

Thanks

no

Yes it can be downgraded.

Search around and you'll know:
https://sampwiki.blast.hk/wiki/Troubleshooting#Steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.sa-mp.com/download.php
The Steam and Direct2Drive versions of GTA:SA are not currently supported and cannot be downgraded.

That article says its illegal and impossible which is complete bullshit, you payed for the content so you can downgrade it if you want.
To do it you just need a cracked exe for version 1.0, put it in the folder steam installed it in and you're done, it wont even complain about overwriting the old file because the one steam installed is named "gta-sa.exe" and the one you need to paste in there is named "gta_sa.exe".

It is illegal because you can't downgrade from the Steam version without bypassing copy protection. The copy protection for version 1.0 and 2.0 is a specially encoded (Sony Securom) DVD. With the Steam version you don't have any DVD.

You can use the 2.0 DVD with the 1.0 gta_sa.exe and vice versa.

This is 10x more frustrating for us than it is for you. If Rockstar provided a version that everyone could upgrade to we would just support that. But they didn't provide an upgrade path from 1.0 to 2.0/3.0 which means we have to require a downgrade to play SA-MP.

I have attempted to contact Rockstar Games and I asked for permission to include binary portions of the 1.0 gta_sa.exe with our mod so that it would work with the Steam and Direct2Drive versions out of the box. I did not get any response.

Either way, please don't discuss cracks on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye
It is illegal because you can't downgrade from the Steam version without bypassing copy protection. The copy protection for version 1.0 and 2.0 is a specially encoded (Sony Securom) DVD. With the Steam version you don't have any DVD.

You can use the 2.0 DVD with the 1.0 gta_sa.exe and vice versa.

This is 10x more frustrating for us than it is for you. If Rockstar provided a version that everyone could upgrade to we would just support that. But they didn't provide an upgrade path from 1.0 to 2.0/3.0 which means we have to require a downgrade to play SA-MP.

I have attempted to contact Rockstar Games and I asked for permission to include binary portions of the 1.0 gta_sa.exe with our mod so that it would work with the Steam and Direct2Drive versions out of the box. I did not get any response.

Either way, please don't discuss cracks on this forum.
then why dosent SA-MP use V2.0 of gta san andreas? much bug fixes, no downgrading anymore, and in time, more samp players.
(dont tell me thats Impossible, i know it is possible.)

v2 can't be modded. And the only noticable bug fix is the sound bug on thunder storms

There is nothing in GTA SA 2.0 that prevents mods like SA-MP from functioning. There seems to be some code that prevents people from trying to reinsert the Hot Coffee content. It does block certain mods like changing model/img files etc. Some SA-MP players do like to mod those files.

Upgrading to 2.0 wouldn't be a bad idea. But not everyone has a 2.0 DVD. Most of us (who worked on SA-MP) purchased SA for PC as soon as it was released in 2005, so we all have 1.0. I happen to have both since I got another copy later. For those who don't have a 2.0 DVD, we'd have to supply some type of 'upgrade' patch. So apart from some minor fixes GTA SA 2.0 provides, it kinda works out the same for us. That's without mentioning all existing players who downgraded will have to reinstall or upgrade.

And the last thing, moving to 2.0 does nothing to solve the problem of SA-MP not working with the Steam/Direct2Drive versions of GTA SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice7
[] .. And the only noticable bug fix is the sound bug on thunder storms
There are quite a few others things, like 1.0 doesn't support 16:9 widescreen resolutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye
There is nothing in GTA SA 2.0 that prevents mods like SA-MP from functioning. There seems to be some code that prevents people from trying to reinsert the Hot Coffee content. It does block certain mods like changing model/img files etc. Some SA-MP players do like to mod those files.

Upgrading to 2.0 wouldn't be a bad idea. But not everyone has a 2.0 DVD. Most of us (who worked on SA-MP) purchased SA for PC as soon as it was released in 2005, so we all have 1.0. I happen to have both since I got another copy later. For those who don't have a 2.0 DVD, we'd have to supply some type of 'upgrade' patch. So apart from some minor fixes GTA SA 2.0 provides, it kinda works out the same for us. That's without mentioning all existing players who downgraded will have to reinstall or upgrade.

And the last thing, moving to 2.0 does nothing to solve the problem of SA-MP not working with the Steam/Direct2Drive versions of GTA SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice7
[] .. And the only noticable bug fix is the sound bug on thunder storms
There are quite a few others things, like 1.0 doesn't support 16:9 widescreen resolutions.
Maybe there's a way that the developers could release 2 different versions of SA:MP?
Which would be for the 1.0 GTA or the 2.0.

I thought only changing the memory addresses can solve this problem.